Sunday, November 11, 2012

Half-vegan Citrus-Nutmeg Banana Bread

I love to bake and eat and share banana bread. I especially love to share banana bread.  When my bananas get a little bit speckled and brown, that's when I know it's time for 
banana bread. I have milk or eggs in my house, I try and steer more vegan, but I did 
have butter to use so I searched for the appropriate recipe. I found one 
at food.com and made an 
adaptation from there. 


Mashed bananas and butter...



 But then when the recipe called for applesauce, I worried because I have never seen canned applesauce in Korea and I don't have any apples to make homemade applesauce in a jiffy. Thinking on my feet, with a cat under my feet, I decided to take a chance on some fresh juiced tangerines.

I had been given a box full and was searching for tangerine recipes too. Well, now I have one!




After I juiced the tangerines I thought some nutmeg might compliment the citrus and give the bread that holiday taste. I was delighted.

I made up my own from scratch, Half-vegan Citrus-Nutmeg Banana Bread! 

I loved the subtle undertones of citrus and know that when I make this again I am going to add more juice and more nutmeg.


Here's what I did use:

1.5 cup wheat flour

1tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

3/4 cup sugar

3 beautifully brown bananas

1/4- 1/2 cup fresh tangerine juice

3 tbsp. butter (you can use vegan substitute)

1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

1/2 cup chopped walnuts


1. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. Mix the first five dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl

3. In a smaller bowl mash the bananas and butter together well.

4. Add the tangerine juice to the banana mixture along with the vanilla extract.

5. Then add the banana mixture into the dry ingredients little by little. I did this by hand.

6. Add walnuts and then pour into a greased bread pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check to be sure the inside is well cooked with a fork or toothpick.

7. Enjoy!




This is a perfect recipe for the holiday season! It'll be at my Thanksgiving table!



No comments:

Post a Comment